The Community Radio in Isles of Scilly Society is operating a weekly lottery that funds Radio Scilly’s essential and emergency information programme service, 365 days a year.
Each week we give away a top prize of £1000!
Your support will ensure that Radio Scilly can continue to train adult and school pupil volunteers in broadcasting skills and multimedia production techniques.
We also donate cash to recognised clubs or charities based on our islands, so all of the community funds raised will stay in Scilly.
The draws take place at noon every Monday, live on Radio Scilly – 107.9FM and live online around the world.
To join the Scilly Lottery and help keep Radio Scilly on air, please download a form here.
The Scilly Lottery Discount Card
When you sign up to the lottery, you are entitled to a Scilly Lottery discount card.
When you use your Scilly Lottery discount card, you make big savings:
- 10% off meals at the The Atlantic Hotel in Hugh Town
- 10% off clothing at The Foredeck and 49 Degrees Clothing
- 5% off at the The Atlantic Inn in Hugh Town
- 10% of goods at Portreath Garden Machinery
- 10% off food, drink and accommodation at St Mary’s Hall Hotel
- 10% off beauty therapies, massages, reflexology and complementary therapies at Revive and Treatment Room 9 at St Mary’s Hall Hotel
- 10% off from PFS in Helston suppliers to Scilly of marine, commercial and home pumping systems and UV filtration.
- 10% off accommodation and food from Tregarthen’s Hotel (not in conjunction with any other offers).
- 10% off bike hire at St Mary’s Bike Hire
You have to request a card. Not everyone wants a discount card, so we don’t send them automatically. You can only apply for a card by leaving a SAE, or an addressed envelope for your own collection, at Radio Scilly or by posting a SAE to us.
We can’t post them out if you phone or email but, if you’re visiting the islands, we can leave one for collection if you email with 7 days notice.
For a card, please send a stamped and addressed envelope to: The Scilly Lottery, c/o Radio Scilly, Porthmellon, St Mary’s, TR21 0JY
Frequently asked questions
How can I play?
You can download the entry form here.
Print it off, sign it and send it to the address on the form- c/o Radio Scilly, above Island Properties, Porthmellon, St Mary’s, TR21 0JY.
You can pick up the same form at the Tourist Information Centre in St Mary’s
How much does it cost?
Each number will cost £1 per week. You sign up for 1, 2, 3 or as many numbers as you like. When you sign up, you join for one year.
I don’t want to have a standing order, can I pay another way?
Yes, send us a cheque made to Community Radio Isles of Scilly or a postal order. We do ask for a minimum of £52 if paying by cheque.
How many numbers can I have?
As many as you want as we don’t have a limit, but we won’t accept anyone else when we get over our cut off point of subscribers.
Can I choose my own numbers?
No, it doesn’t work like that – we draw the lottery by name and not by number so don’t worry about listening for it. Any numbers we use are for admin purposes only.
How will I know if I’ve won?
The draw is broadcast live on Radio Scilly each Monday at 12 noon. The winner will be notified and placed on this website. If those methods of announcement escape you, you’ll find out when you get a nice cheque in the mail!
How is the draw done?
All entries are put into a computerised database and an independent monitor will start the computer programme draw. The computer picks one name at random. This is overseen by an independent adjudicator who isn’t participating in the lottery to ensure the draw is fair.
How quickly do I get the money should I win?
A cheque will be ready after the weekly draw.
I live outside Scilly, can I still play?
Yes, we have many players who love our islands and want to support good causes in Scilly. If you can pay in Pounds Sterling , you can sign up!
Please Note: You can pay via a standing order with all major banks and building societies other than Nationwide. Sorry for any inconvenience, but it is beyond our control.
More chance to win!
We limit the weekly draw to around 2000 plays of the Scilly Lottery each week.
That means that, you will have around a 1 in 2000 chance of winning £1000 each week. The surplus from the not-for-profit lottery funds Radio Scilly -a not-for profit community organization. It also funds good causes in Scilly.
Local Good Causes that have received a grant from the Scilly Lottery include:
- St Agnes Community Group – awarded £300 for a landscaping project,
- St Agnes Island Hall Reading Room – awarded £500 for moving and re-baize the snooker table.
- IOS Judo Club awarded £500 and then received £1000 in 2009 to engage an instructor to visit.
- IOS Gig Racing Association awarded £1000 to repair gigs.
- Tresco Bryher Rowing Club awarded £1000 towards the purchase of a new gig, the Alfie Jenkins and the gig shed.
- Tresco and Bryher Playgroup – received £500
- Five Island School Football Club – received £1000 to pay for mainland trips for their 70 children
With the Scilly Lottery, everyone wins!
The Scilly Lottery helps support projects on the Isles of Scilly. You need to be an islands’ resident to apply and you need to return your completed application form to us by 10th October each year.
Download a copy of the application form below or contact us for further details.
The Scilly Lottery Newsletter
Everyone who signs up to the Scilly Lottery receives a free, emailed copy of our monthly newsletter, full of Islands’ news, features and people.
To show you what you can get, we’ve made our September 2012 edition free to anyone. Just click on the link below.