Gunners Smash Woeful Wanderers 7-0 To Lift Cup & Complete Double

Four goals in twenty minutes during the first half sealed the Wanderers fate who were simply outclassed from the first goal to the seventh.

Four goals in twenty minutes during the first half sealed the Wanderers fate who were simply outclassed from the first goal to the seventh.

FT: Garrison Gunners 7 - 0 Woolpack Wanderers

HT: Garrison Gunners 4 - 0 Woolpack Wanderers  

Sunday, 31st March 2019

Garrison Field, St Mary’s, Isles of Scilly

Cup Final

Garrison Gunners win the WSL Cup in style. 

Strikers Jack Handy and Adam O’Neill grab brace.

Dan Ware and Lee Eaton score screamers from outside the area.

Corey Graham also on the score sheet for Gunners. 

Gunners complete League and Cup double.

Garrison Gunners

J Handy (20’, 35’) A O’Neill (25’, 75’) D Ware (40’) (C Graham (50’) L Eaton (80’)

Woolpack Wanderers

Match Report By Will Lethbridge.

The Garrison Gunners completed a League and Cup double on Sunday morning with an incredible 7-0 demolition of the Woolpack Wanderers. 

Four goals in twenty minutes during the first half sealed the Wanderers fate who were simply outclassed from the first goal to the seventh. 

Weather-wise it was a beautiful morning on the Garrison Field. It was clear, dry and sunny with very little wind and the pitch was in good shape for the time of year.

Team news-wise, the Gunners were pretty much at full strength. The only major absentees were Captain and centre back Anthony Gibbons and full-back Matt Simons. 

The Wanderers were missing some senior players including Captain Rob Greenlaw, centre midfielder Joe Greenlaw and centre back Dan May.

The game kicked on schedule and in the early stages of the game, it was fairly even. 

It was the Wanderers who created a few chances and had a go from distance in the opening minutes. The Gunners' defence was solid and allowed little space for the Wanderers' attack and once they won the ball back they distributed it well or carried it forwards to start attacking plays. 

A couple of fouls were conceded early on. All in good spirit - just a competitive game or so it was for the first fifteen minutes.

As the half progressed the Gunners got a real grip on the game and started to work the angles and pick out the attacking players. 

The Wanderers defence made some good tackles and interceptions but ultimately the Gunners would make their first chance count. 

Inform striker Jack Handy ran through the channel and latched on to a perfectly timed through ball to find himself one-on-one with James Wignell. The forward finished with ease to make it 1-0 to the Gunners. 

The Gunners didn’t take a break and before the Wanderers could really re-group and dust themselves off Adam O’Neill received the ball in the area and finished to the keepers right to make it 2-0. 

It was already looking like it was going to be a long day for the Wanderers! 

As the half continued Wanderers’ keeper James Wignell was forced into making a few good saves. There was little for Raph Ward to do in the Gunners’ goal. He had to stay alert and come off his line on a few occasions to sweep up some long balls.

With a little over half an hour played Jack Handy would get his second of the day. Another good pace move that tore through the Wanderers backline and the striker finished with ease. 

The punishment that had been inflicted on the Wanderers would continue in the later stages of the first half and it was only a matter of time before the Gunners got their fourth. 

Centre-midfielder Dan Ware had dominated the centre of the pitch in the first half. He played some lovely slick passes before receiving the ball on the left-hand edge of the area and smashed the ball into the top right corner.

Sensational play and there was nothing the Wanderers could do.

In the later stages of the first half the Wanderers just kept possession and made sure there was further cover at the back. 

The Gunners passed and moved and were enjoying their day in the sun. 

HT: Garrison Gunners 4 - 0 Woolpack Wanderers 

A couple of changes for both teams took place at the break and a few of the Gunners players offered to play for the Wanderers in the second half. 

A very admirable deed it was and one the Wanderers accepted.

With the game as well as over already the wounded Wanderers came out and tried to approach the second half as if it was all square. 

Both sides changed their keepers with Eugene Hogan replacing James Wignell for the Wanderers. Jack Handy put on the gloves for the Gunners replacing Raph Ward.

The Wanderers started the half reasonably well and started to control the play. They went onto to mount a few attacks but looked vulnerable on the break and would get caught out just as they were starting to get back in the game.

Gunners winger, Corey Graham ran onto a threaded through ball, knocked it past a Wanderers defender and then slotted it low into the far corner past Wanderers keeper Eugene Hogan. 

As the half progressed the Wanderers attempted to move the ball and get into attacking areas but weren’t able to create many clear-cut chances. The Gunners were content to hold onto the ball and pass it around and fashion some good chances. Eugene Hogan made some fine saves including one similar to Gordon Banks’ iconic save against Pele. 

Despite his efforts, the Gunners would grab another and inflict more pain of the Wanderers. 

With around fifteen minutes to go Adam O’Neill popped up in the Wanderers area and finished well to give the Gunners their sixth of the day.

The seventh a final goal of the morning would follow soon after and it was arguably the best of the seven. Lee Eaton who had put in a stellar performance in the heart of the Gunners’ midfield found himself to the right of the Wanderers goal. 

His shot from around 30 yards curled and dipped into the far top corner. There was nothing that Eugene Hogan could do. It was simply a spectacular goal and would prove to be the final one of the day and the season. 

In the final stages, the Wanderers had a few chances from distance and were hoping to at least grab and goal but it wasn’t to be. 

The Gunners held on to the ball in the final minutes and slowed the play until the final whistle was blown. 

FT: Garrison Gunners 7 - 0 Woolpack Wanderers 

Congratulations to the Garrison Gunners who are this year’s WSL Cup champions for 2018/2019! 

The best team on the day, and by far the best over the course of the season won. 

They will pick the Cup trophy along with the WSL League title this coming Sunday.

Despite a bad day at the office for the Wanderers they did win the WSL League Cup and will collect the trophy as well on Sunday. 

Performances of note and other bits:

Thanks to Paul, David and Chas for officiating and to all who have played this year. Despite being a one-sided cup final and a bit of a one-sided season it’s still been an enjoyable one for all. 

A big thank you to all who have spectated and to all who have taken an interest in the World’s Smallest Football League this year from the here in the Isles of Scilly and further afield. 

Some amazing performances from both sides this year and a terrific team performance from the Gunners on Sunday.

Man of the Match:

The Man of the Match award for the Cup Final goes to Gunners centre midfielder Dan Ware. A commanding performance in midfield and a great goal from outside the area. 

Coming up next:

Sunday is the end of season meal, awards ceremony and shindig! 12:30 - 1pm at the Scillonian Club. 

Please post below or let Gibbo know if you wish to attend. It’s always a good day out! 

Well, that’s it as far as eleven-a-side goes until pre-season in September.

Six-a-side continues down at the Sports Hall on Wednesday evenings. There are only a few more weeks until it moves outside and to Tuesday evenings.

Thanks once again and enjoy the off season!