Handy Scores Second Half Hat Trick To Secure Win For Gunners

With a bit more space due to in being ten-a-side it was a fairly open game on Sunday morning.

With a bit more space due to in being ten-a-side it was a fairly open game on Sunday morning.

FT: Garrison Gunners 5 – 2 Woolpack Wanderers

HT: Garrison Gunners 1 – 2 Woolpack Wanderers

Sunday, 10th March 2019
Garrison Field, St Mary’s, Isles of Scilly
League Game 17

Gunners get back to winning ways after grabbing late equaliser last week.

Gunners' striker Jack Handy scores second half hat trick and opened the scoring.

Captain Rob Greenlaw scores sensational free kick and Will Lethbridge fired home from inside the area for the Wanderers in the first half.

Dan Ware's header made it all square just after half time before Jack Handy's second half hat trick.

Gunners have already been crowned champions with two more league games left to play.

Garrison Gunners

J Handy (10',60', 75', 85') D Ware (50')

Woolpack Wanderers

R Greenlaw (30') W Lethbridge (40')

Match Report By Will Lethbridge.

The Garrison Gunners came from behind, scoring four goals in the second half to pick up an emphatic 5-2 win over the Woolpack Wanderers on Sunday morning.

A second half hat trick from striker Jack Handy, who scored four in total and a header from Dan Ware secured the win for the Gunners who were 2-1 down at the break.

It was a bright a breezy morning on the Garrison Field ahead of play. The wind which had caused real havoc in previous weeks was not as bad feared due to the direction, and the trees surrounding the pitch adding some much needed shelter.

Both teams were short of players this week for a whole host of reasons. At one point it looked like the match might have to be abandoned due to player shortage!

A handful of players, including a few carrying knocks, were picked up by Ben Jenkins (Thanks Ben!) to ensure the game could go ahead. In the end, both teams were able to field 10 players and the game went ahead.

In the early exchanges, there wasn't a huge amount in it. With a bit more space due to in being ten-a-side it was a fairly open game in general.

The Gunners and the Wanderers were able to hold onto the ball, move it around and create a few promising moves in the early stages.

Despite it being pretty even early on It would only take ten minutes for the Gunners to take the lead - and what an opening goal it was!

Gunners' striker Jack Handy received the ball just inside the Wanderers' half. The inform forward carried the ball before unleashing a strike from 30 yards which, dipped and curled into the top left corner! Joel Ware who was playing in goal for the Wanderers this week had no chance. It really was a terrific strike and a goal of the season contender. It would not be his last!

Even though the Wanderers had fallen behind their spirits had not been dampened. They continued to press forward and created a few half chances. The Gunners looked dangerous on the break and Wanderers' keeper Joel Ware, made a few comfortable saves and came off his line well to gather a few through balls.

The Wanderers would get back into the game on the half hour mark in slightly unusual circumstances.

A direct free kick was awarded to the Wanderers just outside the area. The officials ruled that Gunners' keeper Will St Pier had not released the ball from his hands inside the area before it was kicked resulting in a handball and freekick being awarded to the Wanderers.

After some confusion, that was quickly clarified to players on both teams by referee Paul Charnock, Rob Greenlaw lined up the free kick which was slightly to the right of centre.

The Wanderers captain curled the ball round the wall and into the right hand side of the goal. It was 1-1 and the Wanderers were back in the game!

As the half continued the Wanderers grew in confidence and looked the more likely to score and would take the lead just before the interval.

After some good possession play, Rob Greenlaw who was playing in the centre of defence picked up the ball and went on a mazy run. It looked like he was going to be able to get a shot off from just inside the area. His shot was blocked and the ball fell to Will Lethbridge. He hit a low powerful shot that cannoned in off the post to give the Wanderers the lead just before half time.

A good performance from both teams in the first half and all to play for in the second.

HT: Garrison Gunners 1 – 2 Woolpack Wanderers

The Wanderers who had just edged the Gunners in the later stages of the first half weren't able to start the second half in the same fashion and it wouldn't be long before the Gunners would draw level.

After some good play out on the right, a dangerous ball was whipped into the area to Dan Ware who lost his man and was able to head home from close range to make it 2-2. The birthday boy had brought the Gunners level and the momentum had changed!

It would only take 10 minutes for the Gunners to take the lead. Gunners striker Jack Handy received the ball on the right of the area and hit the ball powerfully and with curl into the far bottom corner. Another great goal for the forward and the Gunners were back in the lead.

As the half continued the Wanderers ventured forwards looking to get back into the game and Will St Pier made some good saves. It felt like one of those halves where the final ball was missing or not quite falling in the Wanderers favour.

The Gunners looked dangerous on the break and were full of confidence. Ultimately a quick counter would result in the Gunners fourth goal of the day and striker Jack Handy would complete his hat trick. The Wanderers were caught a bit flat-footed, the striker timed his run well, and found himself one-on-one with the keeper and calmly slotted the ball into the bottom corner.

The score was 4-2 and there was 15 minutes left to play. The Wanderers changed into an even more attack minded formation, while the Gunners sat back soaked up the pressure and looked to catch them on the break which they did again.

After intercepting the ball on the edge of there own area the Gunners put a quick and slick counter together. Once again striker Jack Handy was on the end of it to finish from close range to score his fourth and Gunners fifth of the day.

The game slowed down in the final stages and in the end, the Gunners picked up a comfortable win.

FT: Garrison Gunners 5 – 2 Woolpack Wanderers

Performances of note and other bits:

Thanks to Paul, David and Chas for officiating. A big thank you all who turned up, especially those carrying a few niggles and to Ian Nimmo who exchanged the rugby ball for the football this week to ensure we had even teams. Thank you as well to Ben Jenkins for collecting the player before kick off.

Some real stand out performances this week! Wanderers captain Rob Greenlaw put in a spirited performance throughout the game and scored a brilliant free kick. Keith Guy and Louis Asten out on the wings for the Wanderers played well and created some good chances. Keeper Joel Ware made some superb saves despite carrying an ankle injury.

The Gunners put in a great overall team performance in the second half to come from behind and score four goals. Dan Ware dominated the midfield, winning tackles, picking out passes and took his goal well. Centre midfielder Ben Jenkins put in a solid performance throughout the game and did the simple things well. Owen Littlejohn and Corey Graham worked tirelessly and linked up well with other players.

Man of the Match:

There can really be one contender this week. With four goals in total, including a second half hat trick the Man of the Match award has to go to Gunners forward Jack Handy. The opener was a goal of the season contender and he finished pretty much every chance he got and is now very much in the run to win the Golden Boot!

Coming up next:

The 17th League game of the season
10:30 KO – Sunday, 18th March 
Garrison Field, St Mary’s, Isles of Scilly