Gunners Grab 4 And Inflict More Pain On Wounded Wanderers

The Gunners who clinched the league title last week had no intention of letting their fine run of form slip.

The Gunners who clinched the league title last week had no intention of letting their fine run of form slip.

FT: Garrison Gunners 4 – 1 Woolpack Wanderers

HT: Garrison Gunners 1 – 0 Woolpack Wanderers

Sunday, 24th February 2019

Garrison Field, St Mary’s, Isles of Scilly

League Game 15

Gunners forward Jack Handy opened the scoring with 10 minutes to go of the first half.

The Wanderers came close on multiple occasions towards the end of the first 45 minutes.

Corey Graham doubled the Gunners’ lead just after the restart.

Attackers Adam O’Neill and Joel Ware added the Gunners’ third and fourth of the day.

Sean Gilbert scored conciliation goal late on for the Wanderers.

The Gunners are already 2018/2019 champions with 4 more league games to go.

Garrison Gunners

J Handy (30’) C Graham (50’) A O’Neill (65’) J Ware (75’)

Woolpack Wanderers

S Gilbert (80’)

Match Report By Will Lethbridge.

The Garrison Gunners made it four wins from four in the World’s Smallest Football League with a comprehensive 4-1 victory over the Woolpack Wanderers on Sunday morning.

Despite the rather one-sided scoreline, the Wanderers had several good chances towards the end of the first half and couple during the second half which they would rue.

Congratulations to the Gunners who clinched the league title last week. They had no intention of letting their fine run of form slip.

Ahead of play, there were some concerns about whether the game would go ahead. Thick fog had rolled in across the islands in the early hours of the morning.

For large periods of the game, you couldn’t see from one end of the pitch to the other!

Referee Paul Charnock was satisfied the visibility was within limits to ensure and safe and enjoyable game of football. In typical fashion, the fog lifted just before the final whistle.

Both teams were missing some key players this week. Gunners’ central defender Lewis Brown who had picked up the Man of the Match award for last two weeks was unavailable for selection. Goalkeeper Will St Pier also missed this game.

The Wanderers were missing a considerable number of players. Not quite as many as Manchester United but not far off!

The Wanderers were without goalkeepers Eugene Hogan and James Wignell. Midfielders Jack Stone and Hayden Simpson weren’t available. Scott Reid and Dan May were also out of contention as well as a few more players. Just before kick off the Wanderers agreed on a one-match loan for Gunners’ defender Liam Greenlaw.

The game got underway at a steady tempo and from the kick off the Gunners took the upper hand. They had the lion’s share of possession and created a few half chances from in and around the area; forcing Wanderers stand-in keeper Russell Hutchins into action on a few occasions.

Even though the Gunners looked the better of the teams in the early stages the Wanderers gradually got into the game and started to move the ball around the Gunners half and asked a few questions of Gunners’ keeper Matt Simons.

The Gunners looked dangerous on the counter, creating the better of the chances and they would eventually get their reward.

Striker Jack Handy latched on to a through ball and finished low across Wanderers’ keeper Russell Hutchins to give the Gunners the lead with 30 minutes played.

You would have thought the Wanderers might go a bit inside their shell straight after going 1-0 behind but they upped their game and were the more threatening side in the final 15 minutes of the first half.

After a good passing move from the back, the Wanderers worked the ball out to the right and then across to left and into the centre of the area. Sam James found himself free at the back post and just put the ball wide of the post from a couple of yards. To be fair he was under a little bit of pressure.

Another dangerous ball was whipped into the area. Will Lethbridge got a touch but Gunners’ keeper Matt Simons was able to keep it.

The Wanderers kept going forwards mounting pressure and would come agonisingly close once again. This time the ball was curled in from the left towards Joe Greenlaw at the back post who couldn’t get quite anything on it.

Despite the Wanderers efforts towards the end of the half, it would end 1-0 to the Gunners.

If the Wanderers had been able to convert even just one of their chances the game could have turned out differently.

HT: Garrison Gunners 1 – 0 Woolpack Wanderers

At the break, the Wanderers made a couple of changes. Wingers Ethan Graham and Sean Gilbert were introduced and would go on to have an impact on the game. Tom James replaced Russell Hutchins in goal for the Wanderers as well.

Even though the Wanderers finished the half looking like the more likely of the teams to score the second half didn’t start the same way. The complete opposite happened.

With less than 5 minutes played the Gunners would double their lead. After a good accurate passing move, Corey Graham found a gap in the Wanderers defence and squeezed in between a couple of players and poked the ball into the bottom corner from close range. Fine movement and finish by the young forward but a disastrous start to second half for the Wanderers.

As the game progressed the game started to open up with both teams countering the other. Despite there not being much between the teams as far as possession goes the Wanderers weren’t able to carve out that many clear cut chances.

Winger Ethan Graham made a positive impression off the bench and his pace and footwork asked a few more questions of the Gunners backline. He came incredibly close when he fired off a powerful strike with the outside of his left foot that went out off the post.

Every time the Gunners broke the looked like they would extend their lead.

They would eventually get their third of the day. After chasing down a loose ball Adam O’Neill finished well past Tom James from close range to make it 3-0 to the Gunners.

Their third effectively killed the game and it wouldn’t be long before Joel Ware added their fourth of the day. The Wanderers were caught upfield an after a quick counter the striker slotted the ball into the bottom corner.

With not long left, and the fog starting to lift the Wanderers would get something out of the game.

Ethan Graham revived the ball just inside the Gunners half and went on a jinking run. He managed to get a shot away that cannoned off the near post. Sean Gilbert followed up well to grab a conciliatory goal for the Wanderers.

The tempo of the game would gradually slow down as the final minutes ticked by and the Gunners would cruise to their fourth win in a row.

FT: Garrison Gunners 4 – 1 Woolpack Wanderers

Performances of note and other bits:

Thanks to all for turning up and to Paul, Crockett and Chas for officiating. A big thank you to Lee Eaton for a few details on the Gunners goals. It was incredibly difficult to see them from the other end of the pitch!

Some great performances this week in difficult conditions.

The Gunners attacking players created problems from the first minute. Young striker Jack Handy played well and scored a fine Goal. Target man Joel Ware laid the ball off well and took his goal with ease. Forwards Adam O’Neill and Jack Handy made life difficult for the Wanderers backline and took their goals with ease.

Anthony Gibbons put in a solid performance at the back and did well to limit the Wanderers to a handful of chances. Lee Eaton and Dan Ware ran the show in the midfield, winning the majority of the aerial duels and 50/50 tackles.

Without a regular goalkeeper, Russell Hutchins and Tom James played a half each and did exceptionally well under the circumstances.

Captain Rob Greenlaw worked tirelessly and did everything he could to keep morale up during a difficult second half for the Wanderers. Second half substitutes Ethan Graham and Sean Gilbert made an impact off the bench. Sean showed a real strikers instinct to score the Wanderers only goal of the game late on.

Man of the Match:

This week’s Man of the Match is Gunners forward Corey Graham. The young attacker took his goal in a composed manner, linked the play well and worked hard throughout the game.

Coming up next:

Next is the 16th League game of the season. 10:30 KO – Sunday, 3rd March Garrison Field, St Mary’s, Isles of Scilly.