Gunners Get Back To Winning Ways

The Wanderers on the break late on.

The Wanderers on the break late on.

FT Garrison Gunners 2 – 1 Woolpack Wanderers

HT Garrison Gunners 1 – 1 Woolpack Wanderers

Sunday 9th December, Garrison Field, St Mary’s, Isles of Scilly.

League Game 7

Dan Ware and Jack Handy help Gunners come from behind with 2 superb strikes.

Will Lethbridge gave the Wanderers the lead midway through the first half. 

Gunners go 9 Points clear at the top of the table.

Garrison Gunners

D Ware (35’) J Handy (80’)

Woolpack Wanderers

W Lethbridge (25’)

Match Report By Will Lethbridge.

The Garrison Gunners got back to winning ways courtesy of a Jack Handy free kick to go 9 points clear in the World’s Smallest Football League.

It was the Woolpack Wanderers though who took the lead midway through the first half. Will Lethbridge finished off a great passing move by curling the ball into the bottom corner.

Dan Ware made it all square with a spectacular long range strike soon after. 

The second half was a tight and cagey affair. A clever low free kick from Gunners striker Jack Handy proved to be the difference. 

Despite going behind late on the Wanderers would push right to end coming within inches of an equaliser at the death! 

It was a blustery morning on the Garrison Field ahead of play. The wind would make it difficult for both sides. 

There had been a fair bit of rain over the previous days but it held off for the match. Despite the rain, there were no issues with water logging and the pitch was in pretty good shape. 

The only main issue was one of the goal posts. Unfortunately, the joint between the post and crossbar is coming away. It has been temporally fixed, but ultimately it looks like a new set of goals are needed.

Team news wise, the Gunners were almost at full strength. The only main absentee was Adam O’Neill. 

For the Wanderers, Joe Greenlaw and Dan May were unavailable this week. Both sides had 4 substitutes ahead of play.  

The Gunners won the coin toss and elected to play downfield, towards the Garrison Campsite. 

As play got underway the Wanderers had the better of the early exchanges. From the go, they pressed forward and took the game to the Gunners. 

It took both sides 5 minutes or so to get a feel for the conditions. The strong crosswind was causing chaos, and both the Gunners and Wanderers tried to keep the ball on the ground. 

Jack Stone, who was playing in a more familiar central midfield role, had the best of the early chances. His long range shot went just over the bar. 

As the first half continued the Gunners found their feet and got into the game. It would be the Wanderers though who took the lead. 

The Wanderers got hold of the ball on the counter. It was moved out to Scott Reid who slid a perfectly timed through ball to Will Lethbridge who took his shot first time on the edge of the box. The forward curled it into the bottom corner to make it 1-0 to the Wanderers. 

Will St Pier in goal for the Gunners got a fingertip to it but couldn’t keep it out. 

As the half continued both sides started to create a few more opportunities. The equaliser would come 10 minutes before the break and a little out of the blue.

Gunners central midfielder Dan Ware picked the ball up just inside the Wanderers half. He moved forward with purpose and unleashed a thunderous strike from 35 yards. The ball moved, dipped and fell just under the bar. 

No chance at all for Eugene Hogan in goal for the Wanderers. It was a mesmerising strike! 

Towards the end of the half, Gunners central midfielder Paul Williams picked up a knock and was replaced by Jack Handy. After a few changes to shape and position, the Gunners really got into their stride. The young striker started to link up well with teammate Joel Ware. 

The Wanderers still looked promising in the final third, slipping through balls down the channels, putting in dangerous crosses and having a go from in and around the area. 

Despite both the Wanderers and the Gunners efforts, the half would end all square.

Half Time: Garrison Gunners 1 – 1 Woolpack Wanderers.

Straight from the restart, the Gunners (who now had the wind with them) thought they would try their luck directly from the kickoff. Eugene Hogan in the Wanderers goal dealt with it with ease.  

The Wanderers created a few chances at the beginning of the half but the Gunners were starting to get a grip on the game and started to pose more of a threat inside the Wanderers penalty area. 

As the second half continued the game started to open up as legs tired and fresh ones were added to the mix.

For long periods it was looking like it was going to end even.

The Gunners pressed on looking for a winner and came very close. A quick counter turned into a goalmouth scramble with the woodwork denying them the lead. 

They would take it soon after.

With around 10 minutes to go the Gunners were awarded free kick on the edge of the Wanderers area. The Gunners were keen to get on with it as the clock was ticking and the game was moving into its final stages. 

As the Wanderers were getting set up Jack Handy stepped up and placed a clever free kick around the wall and into the bottom corner to make it 2-1 to the Gunners. A very clever goal that completly caught the Wanderers out. 

The Wanderers felt deflated but quickly decided to throw caution to the wind and went on the attack. In the later stages, the Wanderers created a few chances. 

A long range strike went over from just outside the area. The Gunners conceded a late free kick, which Scott Reid whipped into the near post. Will Lethbridge got his head to it but couldn’t get enough on it. Gunners keeper Will St Pier gathered well. 

The drama would continue right down to the final whistle. 

With seconds to play, Jack Stone drove forwards with the ball, laid it to Will Lethbridge who knocked it to Rob Greenlaw. The ball was a little behind the midfielder, but despite the position of the ball he still managed to get a shot away. The ball curled agonisingly close to the post but sailed just wide. 

That was it! The whistle was blown for full time. 

Full Time: Garrison Gunners 2 – 1 Woolpack Wanderers.

The Gunners get back to winning ways and go 9 points clear at the top of the table on 13 points while the Wanderers remain on 4 points. 

Performances of note and other bits: 

Thanks to all for turning up. Another terrific turn out on the Garrison. A big thank you to Paul, Crockett and Chas for officiating. We had few spectators this week too! Thanks for watching. 

Some great performances this week! 

Russell Hutchins and Hayden Simpson put in solid performances for the Wanderers at the back. There was nothing they could do about the goals.

Rob Greenlaw and Jack Stone controlled the midfield for good portions of the game. They supported the Wanderers defence well and created some good opportunities for the attack.

For the Gunners, central defenders Anthony Gibbons and Lewis Brown put in impressive performances winning the ball in the air, sweeping up at the back and they brought the ball out well. 

Joel Ware led the line well, created opportunities for his teammates and looked like a real menace throughout. 

His brother Dan Ware put in a great performance in midfield. He got stuck in, winning the ball on many occasions, took players on and scored an incredible goal – a goal of the season contender! 

Man of the Match:

It has to go to the difference maker this week - Gunners striker Jack Handy! The young forward looked bright straight from his introduction. He linked up well with striker Joel Ware and his quick, clever free kick gave the Gunners all 3 points. 

Coming up next: 

The 8th league game of the season is next.

10:30 KO - Sunday 16th December, Garrison Field, St Mary’s, Isles of Scilly.

Will the Gunners extend their lead or will the Wanderers claw back some ground? We’ll find out next week.