Gunners Grab 5 To Go 9 Points Clear With Emphatic Victory

The Garrison Field on St Mary’s. The home of the World’s Smallest Football League.

The Garrison Field on St Mary’s. The home of the World’s Smallest Football League.

Garrison Gunners 5 – 1 Woolpack Wanderers

HT Garrison Gunners 2 – 0 Woolpack Wanderers

Sunday 18th November, Garrison Field, St Mary’s, Isles of Scilly

Goals from Adam O’Neill and Liam Greenlaw made it 2-0 to the Gunners at the break

Joel Ware made it 3-0 early on in the second half 

An Anthony Gibbons header gave the Gunners their 4th and Lewis Brown added the 5th

Jack Stone scores spectacular long range free kick for the Wanderers

It’s 3 league wins from 3 for the Gunners who go 9 points clear at the top of the table

Garrison Gunners

A O’Neill (30’), L Greenlaw (35’), J Ware (55’), A Gibbons (65’), L Brown (75’)

Woolpack Wanderers

J Stone (80’)

Match Report by Will Lethbridge

The Garrison Gunners made it 3 wins from 3 with an emphatic 5-1 victory over the Woolpack Wanderers in the World's Smallest Football League on Sunday morning. 

It was another clear and sunny morning on the Garrison Field but a strong crosswind made for a difficult match. 

The Garrison Gunners and Woolpack Wanderers were able to field full teams this week. Both teams in fact had 3 subs! I can’t remember the last time we had such a good turnout on a Sunday morning. 

Despite the number of players the Wanderers were still missing key players Rob Greenlaw, Joe Greenlaw and Russell Hutchins, but were delighted welcome back Kane Goddard in goal. The Gunners arguably had their strongest XI out on the field. 

It was the Gunners who won the toss. A game of rock, paper scissors was considered but referee Paul Charnock had his coin! 

The Wanderers wouldn’t have much joy in the early stages with the Gunners, keeping the ball well and putting the Wanderers under pressure. 

They would gradually get into the match and slowly started to move the ball up the field for periods, relieving some pressure and creating a few half chances. 

The best chance for the Wanderers was a close range shot, which was gathered by Matt Simons who was in goal for the Gunners this week.

It was around the half hour mark when the Gunners took the lead - a lead they deserved!

After some good passing around the penalty area, a shot was fired off and blocked on the edge of the six-yard box. There were appeals for a handball – referee Paul Charnock wasn’t having any of it. The resulting block came out to Adam O’Neill who rifled into the far right corner to make it 1-0 to the Gunners.

The Gunners were starting to dominate. They were winning the majority of the aerial battles and 50/50 challenges and it wasn’t long before they got their 2nd of the match. 

The Gunners continuing to apply pressure, keeping possession with the Wanderers pinned back in their own half moved the ball from one side to another with some slick passing. 

Eventually, the ball came into the penalty area and to Liam Greenlaw 10 yards out, slightly to the left of the centre, who curled the ball low into the far right corner to give the Gunners a 2-0 lead. 

Both teams would have some good spells with the ball but neither would create any real chances before the interval. The half would finish 2-0 to the Gunners.

The 2nd half got underway in a similar vein to the end of the first, despite the Wanderers making some tactical alterations. 

They were trying to get a foot on the ball and almost got the break they were looking for. 

Will Lethbridge intercepted a pass well inside the Gunners half but couldn’t quite get enough pace on the pass to Scott Reid who would have been 1 on 1 with Matt Simons. It proved to be a crucial point in the proceedings. 

As the Wanderers were looking to get back in the game, the Gunners were looking threatening on the break. 

With 15 minutes played of the second half, the Gunners would get their 3rd goal of the day.

The Wanderers were caught with a few too many players forward and caught out on the counter. A quick passing move was worked out to the right and pulled back for Joel Ware to tap in at close range and make it 3-0 to the Gunners.

They could have made it 4 almost immediately afterwards. The Gunners who were continuing to mount pressure were awarded a penalty for a handball inside the area. Referee Paul Charnock had no hesitation in pointing to the spot on this occasion.

Up stepped Liam Greenlaw – hoping to get his 2nd of the match. It wasn’t to be though as he put his penalty wide of the mark. 

The game started to open up with some substitutions and fresh legs added to the mix. The Wanderers were going for it now knowing they had little to lose. 

They created a few half chances with Will Lethbridge and Jack Stone shooting over from outside the area. 

It would be the Gunners though who would get their 4th goal of the game. A dangerous corner was whipped into the area from the right to Anthony Gibbons who leapt higher than anyone else and headed the ball towards goal. Kane Goddard got a hand to it but couldn’t get enough on it to stop the ball crossing the line.

Lewis Brown added the Gunners 5th when the Wanderers were caught on the break. He broke through the offside trap found himself 1 on 1 with Kane Goddard and slotted the ball to right.

There was a consolation goal for the Wanderers - what a goal it was! 

A free kick was awarded to the Wanderers 30+ yards out near the sideline. Jack Stone hit a thunderous strike with the outside of the boot, which dipped over the wall and into the top right hand side of the goal. 

The best goal of the game by far, but at the end of the day, it would count for little. 

The game would open up with both sides trying to get another goal but that would prove to be it. 

Full-time Garrison Gunners 5 – 1 Woolpack Wanderers.

Performances of note and other bits: 

Thank you to all for turning up. It was great to see so many on the Garrison. 

Thanks to the officials and the crowd - we had a few spectators this week! Hopefully, it will be a bit of a closer contest next week. 

A few contenders this week for Man of the Match.

Anthony Gibbons put in a solid performance at the back. He made some good tackles and interceptions reading the game well. A mazy run was another highlight along with a fine headed goal. 

Jack Stone gave a committed performance making tackles in the midfield and scored a goal that will be a goal of the season contender for sure.

Adam O’Neill put in a fine shift, getting the opening goal and creating problems for the Wanderers throughout the match.

Man of the Match: 

This week though the Man of the Match award goes to Ben Jenkins. A tidy performance in defence winning the majority of tackles, reading the game well and taking the ball out from the back to allow the play to develop. Well done Ben! 

Coming up next: 

Six-A-Side in the Sports Hall this evening 6:30-8:30pm - £5 for the 2 hours.

The 5th league game of the season is next.

10:30 KO - Sunday 25h November Garrison Field, St Mary’s, Isles of Scilly.

Is there anything the Wanderers can do or will the Gunners extend their lead at the top of the table? We’ll have to wait till next week to find out.