Ware Brothers Punish Wasteful Wanderers In Close Contest

The Wanderers team talk ahead of play.

The Wanderers team talk ahead of play.

Garrison Gunners 2 – 1 Woolpack Wanderers

HT Garrison Gunners 1 – 1 Woolpack Wanderers

Sunday 11th November, Garrison Field, St Mary’s, Isles of Scilly

Joel Ware’s second-half goal makes it 2 wins from 2 for the Garrison Gunners. 

Dan Ware gave the Gunners the lead from outside the box after 10 minutes. 

Will St Pier saved pen from Jack Stone soon after. 

Adam O’Neill got the Woolpack Wanderers back into the game on the half-hour mark. 

Back to back wins for the Gunners who go 6 points clear.

Garrison Gunners

D Ware (10’), J Ware (75’)

Woolpack Wanderers

A O’Neill (30’)

Match Report by Will Lethbridge

On a day where football derbies from Manchester to Buenos Aires were keeping the footballing world on its toes, a slightly less hostile rivalry resumed. 

A second-half strike from Joel Ware earned the Garrison Gunners their second win of the season on Sunday morning to go 6 points clear in the World’s Smallest Football League. 

After days of wind and rain on the Isles of Scilly, it was a clear and sunny morning on the Garrison Field with a stiff breeze. 

The pitch had been well watered but there were no issues with waterlogging or it turning up. The only issue was the vast number of rabbit holes that needed filling in. 

The Wanderers kicked-off left to right and started well. They moved the ball neatly, stringing passes together and using the full width of the pitch. 

The Gunners also started brightly and would take the lead after 10 minutes.

After some good work out on the left, the ball came to Dan Ware. The midfield maestro was just outside the box and slightly left of centre. 

He hit a bit a speculative effort with his left foot, which bounced and went through a few players and found the far right corner. 

Eugene Hogan in goal saw it late and couldn’t do anything about it. It was 1-0 to the Gunners - arguably against the run of play.

The Wanderers would have the chance to make it level soon after the restart though. 

Some good play in the midfield was worked out to the left and to Adam O’Neill who drove down the wing and into the box.

Before he could square the ball or get a shot away he was bundled over by Lewis Brown. Referee Paul Charnock pointed straight to the penalty spot. 

Jack Stone stepped up to take the penalty kick. He looked composed, thought he had sent Will St Pier in the Wanderers goal the wrong way only for the young keeper to save the ball with a trailing leg. 

An excellent save it was and an opportunity squandered for the Wanderers – it wouldn’t be their last. 

The Wanderers continued to mount pressure. Will Lethbridge had a shot from close range blocked on the line by Anthony Gibbons and then curled the resulting clearance just over. 

Will St Pier made another fine save from close range with his foot and the Wanderers continued to have the lion’s share of chances. Most being long-range efforts, which went high, or wide.

At 10:59am referee Paul Charnock blew his whistle. Everyone gathered around the centre circle for the two-minute silence for Armistice Day and the 100th anniversary of the end of the First World War. 

Play resumed after the silence with a drop ball, which was returned to the Gunners keeper, Will St Pier. 

The Wanderers would get their reward soon after. Adam O’Neill chased down a rebound, took the ball round Will St Pier to slot into an empty net to make it 1-1. 

Both teams created a few half chances and shared possession before the whistle was blown for halftime. 

With it all level at the start of the second half both teams went for it from the go.

The Gunners attempted to catch the Wanderers out straight from the kick-off with a long-range diagonal ball. It was over hit and went out for a goal kick! 

Both teams pressed forwards and had a few long-range shots at the start of the second half. Joel Ware had a shot blocked at close-range after some dogged defending from the Wanderers defence.

For long periods of the second half, it looked like it was going finish honours even but it would be Joel Ware who would get the decisive goal. 

The ball was knocked long to Liam Greenlaw who won the aerial battle and flicked on to Joel Ware who found himself through on goal. 

He calmly took the ball round Wanderers keeper Eugene Hogan and finished with ease to make it 2-1 to the Gunners with 15 minutes to go.

The Wanderers piled on the pressure and found some joy with Adam O’Neill picking out Scott Reid with some long diagonal balls. 

One diagonal ball over the top found Scott Reid one on one with Gunners keeper Will St Pier who stood his ground and made a good save at the near post.

Late on the Gunners thought they had sealed the victory. A corner out on right was whipped into Anthony Gibbons who leapt higher than anyone else only for the header to cannon straight back out off the post! 

The Wanderers thought they had picked up a late equaliser. 

Dan May who had a solid performance at the back drove out and had a go from distance. The shot looked like it was on its way in but was matched by a fine save by Will St Pier. 

The resulting corner came to nothing and soon after the whistle was blown. 

Full-Time Garrison Gunners 2 – 1 Woolpack Wanderers 

The Gunners stay top of the table with 6 points with the Wanderers still waiting to get off the mark. 

Ultimately the Gunners took their chances while the Wanderers wasted a few good opportunities, which proved costly. An impressive win for the Gunners especially when you consider they could only field 10 players. 

The Wanderers will take some positives from the game knowing they created more opportunities and have key players Captain Rob Greenlaw, Joe Greenlaw, Russell Hutchins and Kane Goddard all to return. 

Performances of note and other bits: 

First of all, a big thank you to all for turning up and to Paul Charnock for overseeing the game. 

Despite the result and Hayden Simpson and Tom James formed a solid partnership at the heart of the Wanderers defence, which kept the Gunners frontline quiet for the majority of the game. They were supported well by fullbacks Dan May and Louis Asten. 

Adam O’Neill got on the score sheet and caused problems for the Gunners throughout the game. 

At the end of the day the Ware brothers were the difference makers and both had solid, composed performances for the Gunners as well as getting the goals. 

Anthony Gibbons blocked an early effort on the line, forced the Wanderers to try their luck from range and was unlucky with his headed effort that came straight back of the woodwork. 

Liam Greenlaw covered more ground than anyone else as usual and got the key assist. 

Man of the Match: 

Despite some terrific performances it has to be the Gunners keeper Will St Pier. 

The young keeper made a fine save to deny Jack Stone from the penalty spot early on. He commanded his area, made good decisions and stood up well to parry an effort from Scott Reid. 

The keeper also produced a fine top corner save late on to ensure the Gunners picked up all 3 points. 

Well done to all - hopefully we’ll have full sides next week. 

Coming up next: 

Six-A-Side in the Sports Hall tomorrow evening 6:30-8:30pm - £5 for the 2 hours. 

The 4th league game is next. 

Can the Gunners make it 3 wins from 3 and go 9 points clear at the top of the table? 

All will be revealed next Sunday.

10:30 KO - Sunday 19th November Garrison Field, St Mary’s, Isles of Scilly. 

Finally… Big congratulations and warm wishes from all at the St Mary’s Football Club to Wanderers player Hayden Simpson and partner Jennie Trevithick on the birth of their little girl.